Souper S. is our model cook, and she will give you one recipe of her own every week. Healthy, easy and delicious; try this at home!
Quinoa with Courgettes & Onions
Quinoa is one of the few grains that is a complete protein, it is featured on the United Nations Supercrop list such is its health credentials! It contains all eight essential amino acids, is gluten free and is basically one of the healthiest things that you can eat! It can have a slightly bitter taste but cooking it with sweet onions, zingy lemon and fresh courgettes transforms it into a delicious, Middle Eastern inspired dish perfect for lunch or dinner.
- 200g quinoa
- 2 courgettes
- Knob of butter
- Few sprigs of thyme
- 3 finely chooped cloves of garlic
- 50g pine nuts
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Small bunch chopped parsley
- 1 large onion
1. Chop the courgettes and onion. Melt the butter with the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, courgettes, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the courgettes are tender and starting to turn golden. Add the garlic and fry for another couple of minutes.
2. Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa well in several changes of cold water. Bring to the boil in a covered saucepan of colds water. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 12 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and the long white kernels are coming away from the seeds. Tip into a sieve and leave to drain. Tip if you leave it to steam for a little bit at this point it will get rid of some of the excess water!
3. Add the drained quinoa to the courgettes and onions, then add the chopped parsley and lemon juice. Stir well, then taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve topped with the toasted pine nuts.
375 kcalories, protein 15.9g, carbohydrate 25.9g, fat 23.8 g, saturated fat 8g, fibre 2g and salt 1.37 g.
Posted by: Souper S.