Souper S. is our model cook, and she will give you one recipe of her own every week. Healthy, easy and delicious; try this at home!
Low Fat Chilli Con Carne with Lemon Rice
Enjoy Mexican food whilst watching your waistline with this low fat version of the family favourite - Chilli Con Carne. By using lean mince you save 14g of fat per serving! Because of the flavoursome nature of the dish to reduce calories further you can use half the amount of meat and bulk it up with fresh vegetables such as carrots and sweetcorn. Adding the lemons and lime to your rice gives it that extra Mexican kick reminiscent of margaritas in the sun!
- 500g (17½ oz) lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1tsp paprika powder
- 2tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 3 or 4 chopped mushrooms
1. Cook the mince in a large pan until it browns.
2. Add the onion, mushrooms and garlic, stir for a few minutess, then add the chilli powder, paprika and cumin. Stir over a low heat for a minute or so. Note: don’t cook this in oil and it will shave 7g off of the fat content!
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and stock. Stir together and bring to a simmer gently for 15 mins.
4. Add the red pepper and simmer for another 10 mins, then add the kidney beans.
5. Season and cook for 5 mins
6. Serve with rice. Note: to add a bit of flavor to the rice squeeze half a lemon and lime into it as it boils, be carefully not to drop any pips into it!
250 k calories and 8g fat.
Posted by: Souper S.