Souper S. is our model cook, and she will give you one recipe of her own every week. Healthy, easy and delicious; try this at home!
Low Fat Baked Beans & Poached Egg Brunch
A fry up on a weekend morning is the ultimate indulgence, but whilst it is great for the mood, it is not so great on your insides. However, this recipe for home made baked beans and poached egg is healthy and low fat. Packed with protein and flavor it will be your new favourite weekend treat!
Ingredients (serves 4)|
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 rashers bacon, sliced (or chorizo if you prefer)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 200ml chicken stock
- A few sprigs of thyme
- A pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread for toasting
- 4 large eggs
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, then gently fry the onion and bacon together for 5-10 minutes until the onions are softened and just starting to turn golden.
2. At the last minute add in the chopped garlic, and then add the tomato puree and brown sugar. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, stock, thyme and chilli flakes and seasoning to taste, and then simmer the sauce for 5 mins.
3. Add the beans to the sauce, and then simmer for another 5 mins until the sauce has thickened.
4. Toast the bread.
5. Serve with a slice of toast, and a poached egg.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
369kcals, protein 34g, and fat 12.1g
Posted by: Souper S.